A bartender from the Ukraine wins the Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge 2016
The title of ‘Master of Riga Black Balsam Cocktails’ and a EUR 3000 prize from the international bartending competition ‘Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge 2016’ was won by Stanislav Mukhin, a bartender from the Ukraine. His cocktail, Formula 17/52, is named for the year that the Riga Black Balsam recipe was created. The winner says:
“I am very honoured to win with my cocktail recipe featuring Riga Black Balsam bit-ter. I developed the recipe over 2 months, and I also created a special presentation glass that incorporates the natural herbs and spices in its design. I was inspired by the history of this unique drink and I am glad it has been so highly evaluated! ”.
The other five places of the final "Six" were won by the following bartenders:
• 2nd place - Wojciech Urbanki from Poland with Black Balsa- miko;
• 3rd place – Estonian bartender Hirja Niit with the cocktail IEVA;
• 4h place - Georg Cedrick Thomas from Austria with the cocktail The 6th Sense;
• 5th place – Lucia Montanelli from the United Kingdom with her Purple Velvet;
• 6th – Marija Vinogradova from Latvia with the cocktail Black Secret.
The Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge 2016 took place in Riga on 24th November, and was organized by the Amber Beverage Group, in cooperation with the Latvian Bartenders Federation. A total of 49 bartenders from 19 countries participated in the competition, sharing a EUR 4800 prize fund.
The performance of the contestants was evaluated by a panel of international judges, judging the quality of the cocktails, originality of presentation, and taste. The judges represented at the tasting panel of The Riga Black Balsam Global Cocktail Challenge 2016 were:
• Ron Busman, President of the International Bartenders Association;
• Mario Hofferer, champion of the IBA Cocktail World 2011 and distinguished molecular mixologist;
• Raimonds Tomsons, one of the world’s leading sommeliers;
• Valters Kaže, Chief Marketing Officer of Amber Beverage Group.